Monday, September 15, 2008

I'm really close to fed up!



So, I'm gonna use my blog to vent..I hope that's cool with everyone. Like I have mentioned briefly in previous blogs, I started working with a teacher this year that is new to my school. He's not a new teacher, just new to this school. Supposedly, he's taught for, like, 20 years. The last 10 or so have been in a high school BED class (Behaviorally and Emotionally Disturbed). Well, this year, he's with me in an elementary SED room (Severely Emotionally Disturbed). We have 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders.
From day one, he's been lost. He says he's overwhelmed, but when anyone tries to help him, he refuses to accept it or listen. For the first 2 1/2 weeks, I ran the class. I planned the lessons, taught them, did all the paperwork, prepared and graded homework, and handled the majority of the parent contacts. After figuring out that he was sitting on his booty doing nada, I decided that was not cool with me. He was doing NOTHING. Everytime I tried to talk to him about it, he would tell me how awesome I was and how much he appreciated what I do. He also said that, hopefully by Christmas he'd be ready to take over. WHAT?!?!?! Oh no. I don't think so. I get paid squat. I work for health insurance basically, and because I genuinely love my kids in the class. I decided to step back a bit and see what happened in the room. Chaos broke out. The kids fought, and screamed and went bananas, all the while the "teacher" messed on his computer, while I "handled" it. I went to the principal. She is wonderful, and she said that she would handle the situation. She has spoken to him, but he still is clueless. I went to three teachers that have EC inclusion classes and made copies of their lesson plans. Yea, he hasn't done ANY yet this year. He took those lesson plans from a month ago, and glued them into his lesson planner book (that I got for him). He then, after all that I have done to try to help him, has been making rude sarcastic remarks to me the last few school days. Ugghhh. I really would like to punch him in the nose. For real. I so do not get paid well enough to deal with his drama.
So, hopefully, he'll get fired and we'll get a new teacher. A good one. That would be awesome. It's hurting the kids more than anything, because they are stuck with me doing the best I can at teaching, when they need am experienced instructor that has it together, and can handle the issues in a SED classroom. It's not a "normal" class, and he, when he does lead with teaching briefly, tries to teach them like they are high functioning students, which none of them are. So, any advice on what my next step should be? I'm tempted to call the school systems anonymous line and tell them to get someone over to observe him ASAP. Then maybe he'd get the boot.


Also, to completely change the subject, tomorrow, my sister in law, Rachel has a OBGYN appt. She is about 24 weeks along now with her 2nd baby girl. Her first daughter, Carly, passed away this past March at 4 months old from a heart defect. She was born extremely early, and weighed only 13 ozs. Pray that tomorrow, the ultrasound shows a perfect baby girl, who measures right on time with her due date, which is January 1st. Last appointment, she was measuring about a week behind, which has Rachel very nervous, because Carly stopped growing in utero due to complications, and had to be delivered by emergency section at 28 weeks. God is in control, and we believe that when all is said and done, we will be able to hold and love and kiss on a healthy, happy, beautiful, Hannah Kathleen Elliotte. I can't wait!! ;)

2 comments:

J&J said...

Nikki,

I'll be praying for you. You're right I don't think you should put up with it. Have you asked the principal to come observe? I would let the parents be aware of the situaion, I'm sure they wouldn't tolerate it. It may help to have the parents behind you. I also like your idea of calling the hotline anonymously.

Hope today's a better day.

Anonymous said...

I think an anonymous call to the school board hotline is a good idea. Hang in there, and maybe they'll send you someone good to teach the class.
I'll keep your family in my prayers for a healthy baby girl for your sister. Luvya!